Blockchain-based IoT-Platform for Smart Supply Chains
Context and challenges
CircularBlock (#CB) is an innovation project that aims at enabling highly secure, automated, smart monitoring, transaction and auditing processes for critical assets (time-limited, fragile, high-value or hazardous) across the entire lifecycle.
#CB follows a unique approach combining:
1. Seamless Tracking & Tracing
- full transparency in all phases of the asset lifecycle
- automated event detection and quicker responses to critical events
2. Smart Transactions
- instantaneous verification and fraud protection
- automatized payments; reduced transaction efforts/costs
#CB is enabled by state-of-the-art technologies that are integrated in an easy-to-use, peer-to-peer platform that is:
- modular, easy-to-integrate tracking devices (advanced sensors)
- wireless communication (IoT-networking, 5G)
- complex event detection (advanced analytics)
- automated, trackable and irreversible transactions, e.g. pay-by-use (Smart Contracts)
- advanced encryption (Blockchain)
#CB aims to overcome current limitations of existing supply chain solutions, especially for SMEs:
- limited transparency along the asset lifecycle (e.g. OEM has no information about the clients of its distributors) -> entire lifecycle more transparent and better manageable
- potential to integrate advanced analytics not exploited -> predictive supply chain
- potential to enable new business models not exploited -> pay-by-use + proactive delivery
- poor acceptance due to complexity and high integration effort of current systems -> plug&play, ultra-low infrastructure req.
#CB is tested and validated with relevant industrial stakeholders to set new guidelines for worldwide implementation of trustworthy monitoring and auditing processes.
Developing an easy-to-use, peer-to-peer platform for smart monitoring, transactions and auditing of critical assets. The platform suits the needs of SMEs and allows to create value-adding services on top of an existing product portfolio – moving increasingly to customer-oriented value creation.
Partners and funding
Funded by InnoSuisse – Swiss Innovation Agency
The project developed a blockchain based Hyperledger platform that uses RFID tags to monitor and track items related to several use cases:
- Monitor clean and dirty clothes washed and rented by Elis
- Monitor the containers with lubricants produced by Blaser Swisslube
- Monitor the containers with high quality semen produced by Swissgenetics
G. Griesser, J. D Costa, N. Marina, and N. Ouerhani, Circular Block #CB Blockchain-based IoT-Platform for Smart Supply Chains, poster, Swiss Cyber Security Days 2021, February 2021.